Opening Minds to Connect Children with Nature
Today's children are spending more time in front of the TV and computer and less time in the great outdoors. The impact of this change could be detrimental to their health—and the health of our planet.
Chicago Metro AEYC was selected by the World Forum Foundation to lead this region in fulfilling a promise to the Clinton Global Initiative to connect two million children to nature worldwide in the next two years. Read more.
Become a Community Partner Today
Your support will allow us to build public awareness, educate and advocate for the policies and practices which will raise a generation of children committed to protecting Planet Earth.
Invitation to Review: First Draft of Position Statement for Opening Minds to Connect Children to Nature Campaign
Chicago Metro AEYC has embarked on an exciting venture with 70 other nature action teams and we would like to ask for your assistance. We were selected by the World Forum Foundation to lead this region in fulfilling a promise to the Clinton Global Initiative to connect two million children to nature worldwide in the next two years. Click here to read and comment.
Community Partners to Date: 48
Nature Pledges to Date: 606,167
I Pledge.. (taken from teachers, parents and administrators)
- to be a child in every way as I learn and introduce nature to children, their friends and the community. I pledge to encourage exploration, respect, sustainability and other green practices.
- to take all my students on nature walks everyday no matter how the weather is out there.
- to provide opportunities for teachers and parents to become familiar, comfortable and knowledgeable about Nature activities.
- to work on our "outdoor space" committee to develop a natural setting that is interesting, engages all senses and promotes curiosity and learning.
- to create the best early childhood nature camp activities that chicago has ever seen!
Watch the Opening Minds to Connect Children with Nature Video
- Invitation to Review: First Draft of Nature Position Paper
- Case for Support
- Connecting Children with Nature Action Forum Press Release
- Garden Challenge Poster
- Community Sign-On Letter
- "Make Your Nature Pledge" Poster
- Why Kids Love Nature
- Illinois Environmental Literacy Standards